Thursday, August 12, 2010

Casey's Garden

The Garden!
Can you see the squash?
Ya baby!
One of the five tomatoes...
And the winner is?

So Casey has been very good about the garden this summer. It's his baby. I would try to claim some glory in the growing process but watering the garden twice all summer doesn't really justify claiming any part. He planted tomatoes, squash, zucchini, peppers, carrots, radish's, cucumbers, corn, and WATERMELON!
The squash, and zucchini grew well as always and made some yummy zucchini bread, but the corn (which never got bigger than a foot) carrots ( I don't think I saw a carrot?) tomatoes (maybe 5 grew?) cucumbers (bitter blah!) peppers (burnt before ever picking) radishes (I ate one before needing the fire hose) all had their issues. BUT the watermelon has found its glory growing days in our backyard. We have watermelons growing like crazy. Just today Casey picked three and there are several more coming. They taste so sweet and delicious.
I can't be too disappointed, it is our first garden in the backyard and the ground needed some nourishment, but next year I can't wait to see the produce appear! Good job babe! You have a watermelon growing thumb! (Stay posted...I think pumpkins are in the growing schedule soon so be watching for them around Halloween!)

3 comments:

  1. I think you are brave to even attempt a garden in Mesquite. Great job! Especially for your first year. It's a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one to do a garden post! Love ya and good job on all the posts! You rock Paige!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you save me some squash! I love the stuff, and of course tomatoes if you get them coming out your ears :)

    ReplyDelete